What to pack? Whether for a trip or a race the task can be daunting. Let’s talk pre race checklist specifically for the NYC Tri. I like to break things down for each discipline.
For your Transition bag:
- Swim T1
- Black sharpie
- 2 pairs of goggles (in case u break a pair) Swim cap Trislide
- 2 plastic grocery bags
- 1 large towel for the transition area
- 1 small towel to dry face, feet etc…
- Sun Glasses & a clear pair in case of rain
- Bike Gloves
- Bike shoes
- Salt tabs
- Watch or bike computer
- Spare tubes, Flanges, CO2 cartridge or hand pump
- 2 water bottles
- Optional extra – sox, rain jacket or vest but keep an eye on race day temps.
- Safety pins for your bib#
- Running shoes
- Lace locks
- Hat or visor
- Sun glasses
- Race belt
- Salt tabs
- Running water bottle
For the Swim Start & Finish line bag: (note you’ll carry this with when you leave transition and head to swim start. Placing it in the designated truck for delivery to the finish line)!
- Toilet paper & wet wipes (you’ll thank me)
- Purell small bottle
- Foggle & TriSlide
- That extra pair of swim goggles
- A dry shirt to change into
- Sox or sandals
- $20 Cash or 1 credit card
- Nutrition Gel, energy bar, recovery bar, & small plastic water bottle (filled). I religiously use PowerBar products since they are easy to digest, have carbs, & caffeine.
Shit you don’t need.
A bucket! No idea who said a bucket was a good idea but they must think transition is for sitting down and having a coffee. Same goes for a folding chair.
A scale – seriously if you have time to weigh yourself you are doing something wrong.
A selfie stick – need I say more
Shaving cream & razor blade – umm gross please do that at home.
Your standing bike pump – not necessarily bad but many people bring them and the event has a bike pit crew so keep this at home.
Balloons – you cannot mark your transition area with any flag, marker, sign or other indicator.